Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pen and Ink


For drawing class, we have an at-home assignment to draw something in pen and ink. It has to be an observational drawing, but I'm trying to think of something good to draw because pen and ink is my favorite medium, along with water colors. I love how super detailed you can get with the different size pen tips, or nibs. I like the flexible tips for more variation in lines, but the stiffer ones are good for clean drawings. My favorite part though, is the true black you can get with the ink. It puts great contrast between the black and white. Pencils can go pretty dark, but you can never really get the same saturated black that you can with ink. You can also switch it up by doing white ink on black paper, and so focusing on the negative spaces of the drawing, which can lead to some pretty interesting effects. The pics I put in have good examples of details like cross-hatching and stippling. I'm asking a lot of the AP art students to do pen and ink drawings, because they would look awesome in the Indigo Ink this year, because it will be in black and white. The cover this year will also be a pen and ink drawing. I'm excited to do my drawing and see my classmates' results and encourage them to submit to Indigo Ink!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I think that pen and ink drawings would be perfect for Indigo Ink. Let's encourage them to bring them to room 501 on a pen drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, we have some pretty good artists in drawing this term

    ReplyDelete