Monday, January 24, 2011

The Help

Right now I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and it has been a good read so far. It's set in the 60's in Mississippi and it's about three women. One of them is the help for a family with their first child. The other woman is a maid who lost her job because she back-talks too much. The last woman is a white woman who wants to write a book about what it's like to be a colored maid working for a white family. The book is great in general, but is also good for learning more about segregation because of all the historical details the author includes. There are a lot of books written about the unequal treatment of races in the south, so sometimes it's a little redundant after you've read a  few. But I actually really like this book, maybe just because it's very well written. The other books I've read about these issues during the same time period are Devil on my Heels, and the Secret Life of Bees (which is also a great movie).

1 comment:

  1. I read The Help last summer, and I also loved it. It was a great book about relationships and how they are complicated by race and status. I am glad that you are reading it, Sienna. We will soon start The Thirteenth Tale, and I think that you will enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete